Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Master Diaries: Chapter 2

If you missed Chapter 1, it's here.

Speaking of, do you like the name of the series? I totally ripped it off from Erika and her Nursery Diaries. I really enjoyed reading about her nursery unfold chapter by chapter. Lord knows our master bedroom will be a chapter by chapter project so I thought it was fitting. And "The Master Diaries" sounds way more important than it really is. Janell also did a step by step master bedroom re-design!

In Chapter 1, I showed you my preliminary plan for the Master:



Needless to say, it's changed. As many designers/decorators have said before me, it's very hard to design our own spaces. I think it's because we have access to soo many fabrics and things that we are always afraid something bigger and better will come along. At least that's part of my problem.

But yesterday I did it - I finalized a plan. Here are the main colors that will be in the room:



I sort of stumbled upon this color scheme and I really like it - it's unexpected. The walls will be gunmetal gray and there will be spa green as the secondary color (in fabric).

After months of thinking about what to do with our master bedroom before I fell asleep, little did I know the solution was right above my head:



Too funny, huh?

Next up - the painful task of painting the room.

11 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm excited to see how this turns out. We just painted our master with almost that same scheme, our 'spa green' is more of a turquoise blue color for punch :) I haven't even started to accessorize yet so I'll be looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have said...what you don't see [on a lot of other blogs] is all the hard work and patience...on yours, we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this color combo! Can't wait to see how it's going to turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I meant was, other people's pictures (as your inspiration pictures) and YOUR OWN mood boards.
    I have never seen a design blog post so much un-original material. Bravo for you for starting your own business, but as your "business" has evolved, you seem to have lost sight of the reason for all of your followers. People who like to see what other people actually DO to their home. Not a bunch of pictures we can see on any of the other decor blogs around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very sweet, but I can't help but notice that your blog mostly consist of other peoples' "inspiration pictures" and mood boards. I have been subscribed for a while, but with your big blank canvas of a house, I would think we'd get a little more original work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comment. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say I post other people's mood boards. I actually don't think I ever have? I do post a lot of inspiration pictures (but so does the majority of design blogs out there).

    I often post my own client mood boards (found here: http://brynalexandra.blogspot.com/search/label/Idea%20Board) and updates to our house (found here: http://brynalexandra.blogspot.com/search/label/Our%20Home).

    If you look at my sidebar, you will see a button that says "Tour Our Home In Progress" where you can see everything we do to our new home. I make changes to our home when we have enough funds and it's definitely a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great colors!! I've been debating whether or not to paint my bedroom a darker gray...I may have to take the plunge when I see your "after" shots.
    Also, I have to say that I love your blog and think you do a great job of balancing your business projects, inspiration photos, and your "work in progress" home. I too applaud your realistic, stay out of debt approach. My personal philosophy is if you don't like something, don't read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bryn, I disagree with MemereMama's comments on this post. I too am a new home owner in my 20's and am trying to design and update little bit by little bit. I think sharing your process is inspirational and relatable. Your ideas have resonanse with readers like me which is why I keep coming back to read more. I hope you'll keep this series going and know that many readers appreciate your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  9. recycledconsignanddesignMarch 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM

    Can't wait to see it done...the color rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bryn - I applaud you for sticking to your budget and showing personal restraint in working toward your goals. I love your mixture of original design mixes as well as inspirational photos, especially since I do not read other style blogs. Your posts give me a lot to think about - what do I like about this room, and what doesn't work for me? I wish you lived in TX so I could see more of your work. Take care and happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like it! I'm digging grays a lot right now.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate each and every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...