When I originally planned to work from home, I knew I had to develop good working habits from day one. And that includes working from a desk 9-5. I was worried I'd get into the habit of lounging on the couch in my pj's eating potato chips with my laptop on my lap.
Surprisingly, I have come to really love sitting at my desk all day and working... I don't have to force myself at all! Maybe because I finally love what I do? Or maybe because I love my desk so much? or both :)
One of the biggest improvements to my desk is my mousepad I DIY'ed. Normally I don't use a mouse pad, but this apartment complex painted their counter tops with texture - boo. So a mouse pad was a must (I haven't had one since high school I think???)
The diy aspect of my new mouse pad came from the amazing mind of High Street Market. First, you must click here and check out what she did to an IKEA 99 cent mouse pad. Here, I'll post some pictures:
One of my pet peeves is having to move the mouse over to keep from falling off a mouse pad (hence why I never used one), so I decided to make a HUGE mouse pad. I don't have pictures of the "during", but the materials consisted of:
- left over cork board (from my diy corkboard project)
- fabric (small remnant left over from a client project)
- spray adhesive
Easiest DIY ever.
Some misc. comments:
- I love my desk chair. It was a splurge but well worth it since I'm in it all day long.
- I also love my second screen. It's a left over from my husband's college years and by no means fancy, but it does the job and is PERFECT for idea boards (you can see one I'm working on now)
- See my little bird frame in the first picture, behind my lamp? I just got it on sale at Anthro... I got it because of the crown - now that I live in the Queen City and all :)
- My Inspiration Board is coming along! I love adding tear sheets and pictures to it. You'll notice I re-did it with my spray adhesive, and had to take the ribbon off. I may add it back someday when I get around to going to Hobby Lobby.
That's all. Let me know if you DIY a mousepad, too!
Thanks again for the idea, High Street Market!
EDIT - I just got a fun comment: "Looks great! I love the chair as well. What type of candle do you have burning? Also, do you work to music? What type?"
To answer the questions.. the candle I have on my desk is my favorite candle I have right now. It's called DANI in the Zante Currant scent. I only listen to music when I'm designing.. I can't have other words going on when I'm writing (emails, blog posts) or else I get too distracted (A.D.D.??) But it's almost always Regina Spektor :)
1 hour ago