Monday, February 14, 2011

bryn alexandra interiors: Living Room Before & After

Good morning my Valentines!

I'm excited to share this recent project of mine with you. This living room is in a bungalow full of character built in the early 1900s. When I first walked in I immediately became smitten over the original molding and fireplace. The beautiful architecture of this home made my job easy :)

The room had already been painted and furnished when the owners called on me for help. They just needed some assistance finishing it up.

Here are some BEFORE shots:







Since the dining room is open to the living room and front door, I wanted the two spaces to work seamlessly together. To make this happen, I brought in the navy blue of the dining room into the living room.

Here is the dining room (which was all done by the home owner - she did a great job!!)



This is the original plan I showed to the home owners. It changed a little but I thought you'd enjoy seeing the creative process.



And here are the AFTERS!



The biggest change in the room was adding new patterns and colors for the sofa pillows. The back pillows have a navy quatrefoil pattern and the blue pillows are almost a perfect match to the wall color. So much better than the original brown that came with the sofa!











I added a ready made bookcase from Home Decorators and customized it by adding new knobs and paint. The paint is the same navy blue that's used in the dining room.





We kept the existing TV stand and updated it by adding new polished nickel pulls. It's amazing what new hardware can do!



The chairs were also existing, but I had them recovered in a pistachio green fabric. The rug is a navy and tan stripe (it looks black in some photos but is navy).





I love doing subtle repeats in rooms (that probably only I would notice). There is a chevron pattern on both the brown pillows on the chairs and the blue pillows on the sofa.





The entry mirror was a flea market find by my client. When I told her to silver-leaf it I think she was a little hesitant, but it turned out perfect!!





There is the owner's sweet spaniel, Samantha!



These plates were a One Kings Lane find. They are hand painted and I had them framed in shadow boxes.

And here are some more detail shots...







Sorry for the excessive amount of pictures! I loved them all so much it was hard to narrow down selections for this post.

All images were taken by the talented photographer Tish Mackay. If you ever need a photographer in Charlotte, she is fantastic! She shoots the usual - weddings, engagement sessions, newborns and now interiors :) One major talent she has is shooting pets. Here is another shot of Samantha:



I also want to tell you guys about my awesome client Sara who lives in this beautiful home with her husband Ryan. They were a DREAM to work with. Sara is a talented event planner here in Charlotte and is one half part of the Hall & Webb Event Design team. Check out their site here and their blog here.

Like what you see? I'm available for local and out of town projects. Email me at bryn@brynalexandra.com.

I hope you all have a great Valentines Day! We don't really celebrate so no plans here. But I will be announcing the February giveaway winner later today :)

68 comments:

  1. Lovely room!! I have been looking for a rug just like that. Where did you find it?
    thanks,
    Lynsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And I love the way you used things the owner already had. I really like the curtains- do you have any idea where they came from? I'm looking for new curtains for my living room and those look so amazing in that space, I would hope they would look great in my space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did SUCH a good job! This is my favorite room you've done. The details fit together so nicely, and the overall look has a lot of character. You're rockin' it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryn - this is stunning! Where did you find the fabric for the back pillows?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. where did you get your rug? I love it! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It came out gorgeous. Love the lucite coffee table and the abundance of candlesticks on the mantel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bryn, this looks fantastic! What a transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, Bryn!! Beautiful changes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super fabulous job! Thank you for sharing, always looking forward to your before and afters! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness, you did an AMAZING job! I would have never thought of removing the old sofa pillows...I probably would have just kept them and added more pillows. It looks fantastic and I love that lucite table!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful room, Bryn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sonya,

    The actual design plan didn't take long at all! Just a couple weeks maybe. The implementation varies on the client and their budget, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherry thank you that means a lot to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The marble topped cabinet is antique. The candlesticks are from IKEA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been following your blog for a while now and I love your work! May I ask where the marble top wood cabinet is from (I have been looking for something just like this) ? I also wondered where the glass candlesticks are from? They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marianne (Style For Living)March 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

    Beautifully done, Bryn! Your clients must be absolutely thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful room, Bryn! You did a gorgeous job. I'm saving these photos for inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a beautiful makeover, and it goes so well with the lovely dining room. Congrats!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! There is just the right balance of everything in this space. The homeowner did a beautiful job with the dinning room and I like that you didn't try to convince them to change it all and instead worked with what they have. Bravo!! Love your style!
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mr. Goodwill HuntingMarch 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

    The Bryn touch! You are famous all around the world!

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did an amazing job Bryn! I love everything about it. I have also loved watching your talents progress over the years. Please keep sharing before and afters of your work! :)

    Jen
    www.1creativemomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. The room is beautiful Bryn. I especially love that you decided to replace the solid couch cushions with patterned pillows. I also love the framed plates from OKL. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, this looks fantastic! When I saw the "Before" pictures, I couldn't even imagine how you could help it, lol. But you made it look amazing and so high-end! My favorite parts are the framed plates and the green chair. I want that chair for my bedroom! It is exactly what I'm looking for with the round back and the tufts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow that looks amazing - love how it all flows together! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,

    I purchased the fabric at a local fabric store but I have another fabric that is very similar that I could order for you if you like. For more info email me! bryn@brynalexandra.com. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brynn - love love how this living room turned out - My favs are the greens and navy mixed together! Can you please tell me where you found the Chair Fabric? It's the perfect green, I've been looking for, for my babies nursery! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's all soooo gorgeous! I'm so glad you didn't edit down the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is totally amazing. Job most stupendously done!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a transformation! It looks awesome. I really love that you introduced the color pistachio and that you brought in the navy from the other room. So cool. I'd live there in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Stephanie! That means a lot coming from a talent like you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The glass and nickel table was pre-existing in the home. The shell box is from Home Goods!

    ReplyDelete
  32. May inquire where the glass and nickel round table is from? Also wondered where the box on bottom shelf is from?

    ReplyDelete
  33. looks so great! love it! makes me want to throw my cushions away on the back of my sofa and fill in with pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Kelly @ Fabulous KMarch 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

    Stunning, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love everything about this room! Perfection! The mantel and that side table, to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such an improvement Bryn! Love the painted bookshelf, pillows and new upholstery on those chairs. Seems like you made smart improvements without spending a huge budget!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my you did such a good job! I have scrolled up and down the page 3 times just to look at the pictures again!

    ReplyDelete
  38. It looks wonderul- so fresh! I love your attention to detail- it gives the room such an easy polish! LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Bryn, it is amazing!! Fabulous in every way!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Looks awesome! Where were the green chairs reupholstered?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sara- thank you so much you're the BEST! I am definitely going to keep you guys in mind for any future baby showers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Bryn...thank you for being so great to work with...I might have to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Good Girl Gone GladMarch 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

    It's so fresh and pretty! Love all of the colors!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  44. The space is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Fantastic! I love the pillows and all the candlesticks on the mantel. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Absolutely beautiful!!! Great job, Bryn!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh my goodness, Bryn, I love everything about this room. Seriously, you knocked it out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  48. SoutherndomesticblissMarch 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

    FANTASTIC!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. GEORGOUS! Love the fireplace and mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Beautiful transformation!! Love every bit of it!
    shannon berrey design

    ReplyDelete
  51. Bryn...you brought that room together flawlessly....The colors....and working with most of what she had.....it just really needed that punch. I absolutely LOVE the mantel treatment...one of my favorites. Changing out the coffee table was genius.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm drooling! I love the color choices and how all the fabrics coordinate so perfectly. The space looks so polished and sophisticated now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Camille @ the vintique objectMarch 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM

    I just can't stop thinking about this color scheme, so I am revisiting to look and am commenting again! The navy and green give just the right amount of color, but still act as neutral because there are so many other colors that would pair fabulously with them. Take honeysuckle for example. Or a warm yellow. And seasonal decorating will be a cinch fall decorating and the holidays. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  54. You are my hero. You seriously never fail to amaze me. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Nevermind my first question...I should have read the comments below mine first! Ikea- wow!!!! I need to stock up!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Bryn, Where did the glass candle sticks above the fireplace come from? I am looking for some like that. Also, just curious- how long did the whole design process for this project take? It looks AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. HelloloverofbeautifulthingsMarch 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM

    Looks great! Congrats on another room beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  58. I love this room! You did a beautiful job. Would you mind sharing the navy pattern fabric used for the pillows and where you got the knobs for the cabinet?

    ReplyDelete
  59. AMAZING! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Camille @ the vintique objectMarch 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM

    I really admire the combination of navy and green. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Wow!! you're so Talented!! Love the transformation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  62. Chassity (LookLingerLove)March 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM

    Bryn, Seriously, this is amazing. Lovely work, lovely lovely. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Oh, gorgeous! I am sure that Sara and Ryan are so happy with their new living room!

    ReplyDelete
  64. You did such an amazing job! Every detail is perfection! I especially love the navy-backed bookcase and the coffee table. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Lovely room!! I have been looking for a rug just like that. Where did you find it?
    thanks,
    Lynsey

    ReplyDelete
  66. I LOVE this makeover. Is there any way you'd share the brand and color of that navy blue paint??

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate each and every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...