When we moved into this house, one of the first questions my husband and I had was - where are we going to put the microwave??
Normally I'd say "above the stove of course", but the way our cabinets are mounted, there was absolutely no room for a standard microwave. It'd come down way too low. But that didn't stop me - I searched the internet and (it seems like) every store in town to find a low profile (small) over the range microwave. I finally found one, but it wasn't wide enough, didn't have a light and didn't have a vent. My family said - we can build some moulding to go on either side of the microwave.. but I just wasn't convinced it would work.
After going over every possible scenario, I finally (with a very pouty face) said fine - we can keep it on the counter. After all, this is our first home and it's not going to be perfect. So about this time, my parents came into town and on the way home I took them to stop at some hardware stores to pick up some things, one of which was a microwave. My parents very sweetly bought me the microwave as a house warming present - a small, pretty one that I would be somewhat ok with being on the counter.
But when we got home, my dad said to me - "Why don't we put this microwave in the pantry? We can cut a hole in the side and use the electrical plug from the fridge". Hallelujah! Why didn't I think of this???? Sure, I thought of putting it in the pantry, but had no idea how to get electricity in there. My dad is an engineer, and he was totally my hero that day. It took him a matter of 10 minutes and the microwave was tucked nicely, out of sight, in the pantry.
Sorry this turned into a long drawn out story, but I thought it was a nice one to share with Father's Day coming up. Dad - you're my hero!!! And every time I use the microwave, I smile and think of my Dad.
Our current kitchen - note the very low range vent (which will eventually be swapped out with a stainless steel vent)
Awesome microwave placement:
- We do not have electrical outlet covers yet, it's on my to do list.
- I realize the fridge is way too big for the space. Yes, it bothers me. But it came with the house, it's a very nice fridge, and it would be frivolous to replace it. Money can be spent better elsewhere... like on furniture! Anyone out there that has a stainless too-small fridge and needs a bigger fridge and wants to do a swap?
- Kitchenaides are allowed to be left out because they are pretty :)
- I still don't know what to do with the trash can situation.... I don't like those out either.
- Like my makeshift desk? aka the kitchen table.
- Paint color is Valspar Seine
11 hours ago