Wednesday, April 21, 2010

DIY Nailhead Corkboard

One of my local clients and new friend Sarah asked me if I could do something similar to Erika's fabulous inspiration board:



And I said, sure I can!

The process was actually much simpler than I thought and it turned out really nice.

The materials involved are:

Corkboard (we used a 3' x 4' from Staples)
Fabric (we used ivory linen)
Nailheads (we used these)
Hammer
Spray Adhesive
Staple gun
Iron

Steps:

1. Iron your fabric like crazy to get all the wrinkles out (especially if using linen)
2. Spray adhesive the fabric onto the cork section of the board only, leaving the moulding trim unglued.
3. Nail in the nailheads with the hammer- I measured the width between the nailheads with the width of my pinkie finger. This was easy and assured that everything was even :) Go along the line of the board's moulding trim and you will get a straight line.
4. Spray adhesive the fabric onto the moulding
5. Staple gun the fabric onto the back of the board and you're done!

I didn't take pictures of the entire process.. I grabbed my iPhone mid-way through to snap a few pictures. I'm really bad about taking pictures for my DIY projects... I know, I need to work on that. Bad blogger!





[It never fails. When you have a black dog, there will always be black dog hair in my pictures.]



The finished product!


Yes, I am aware of the terrible picture quality. But I got a promise from Sarah to get pictures of it hung :) I'll be sure to share with you when I get them!

Also, if you are local and want me to make one for you - shoot me an email.

31 comments:

  1. I recently did a version of one for my daughter's room...a great little project! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! What coarkboard exactly you used? Id love to try it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! You're making me excited to have a home office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently made one and posted about it, too! Such an easy and productive project!

    http://gimleteyed.blogspot.com/2010/02/little-goes-long-way.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I'm actually not a huge nailhead fan, but this looks great. Love the white linen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I might have to try this for my new office. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely bookmarking this one. I've always loved Erika's inspiration board and can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Very simple and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. this is pretty impressive. i want to do it now myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I REALLY love this. We have a corkboard exactly that size leaning against our dining room wall and I think it's about to get a makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE it! I have a corkboard right now and I've been wanting to make it prettier for a while now. Perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my god! I am making one of these this weekend. I love it!!!!! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect!! I totally want to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enough said - no more procrastination. I'm doing this this weekend! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love it. might have to make one for myself

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it - I'm in the process (ie thinking about it and hoping to at least START this month) of setting up my home office and I will be using this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for this! Will be trying it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! I need to try it out. Love your blog, you have super fab taste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! It's a great idea! I just have everything on a corkboard right now, but this looks so pretty!

    Cheers! Look forward to reading more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bryn,

    This is probably a stupid question, but do you know where I could find a slab of wood like the picture above? My husband and I want to transform our office into a 2 workstation space with filing cabinets supporting the actual desk like above, but I have no idea where to find something like that.

    Thanks for your blog and the step-by-step process on creating the bulletin board, I will be creating my own next weekend:)

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! I need to try it out. Love your blog, you have super fab taste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for this! Will be trying it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  23. love it. might have to make one for myself

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my god! I am making one of these this weekend. I love it!!!!! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, I REALLY love this. We have a corkboard exactly that size leaning against our dining room wall and I think it's about to get a makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm definitely bookmarking this one. I've always loved Erika's inspiration board and can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I recently did a version of one for my daughter's room...a great little project! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this, I am going to do it for my girls school room.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How did you get your corners to to turn so crisply without bunching up?

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate each and every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...