Jenny, who just moved to military housing in Hawaii with her husband and 2-year old son, contacted me to help her with their new place.
I had a blast doing this room because it was a challenge; Jenny and her family cannot paint walls. Jenny also requested a "Hawaiian" theme, without being theme-y. (Just say NO to theme rooms!)
Jenny made my job easier because she already has great core pieces: sage velvet couch, beige velvet chair and ottoman, great round pedestal dining room table.
The first thing I thought of when she mentioned Hawaii was "texture": earthly textures in natural tones. I'm not a fan of the bright cliche Hawaiian prints, so I went muted with a splash of color.
- The rug has florals that reminds me of Hawaii, but doesn't scream it.
- I suggested to Jenny even though she has a rental, it's relatively cheap and easy to switch out window shades. I suggested she replaced the verticals with earthy bamboo shades. The grommet drapes are organic cotton.
- Frames lined in a row, and hung on the same horizontal line (like in the board) is a great modern way to display black and white family photos and scenes of Hawaiian beaches.
- Recognize the hutch from Eddie Ross's Blog? I suggested to Jenny that she scour her local thrift shops to find something similar that she can display white and cobalt blue dishes in. I also suggested to go find some great, simple mid-century chairs that she can recover herself. Thrifting is the best way to decorate on a budget.
- Speaking of cobalt blue, it's the perfect accent to her neutral pallet. The cobalt blue reminds me of the deep Hawaiian ocean. I suggested she scatter it around her room: dishes in the hutch, a platter on her coffee table with a few magazines on it, two cobalt blue lamps on each end table and a striped bolster pillow on the couch.
- And you probably have noticed, but I'm a huge fan of leaning mirrors. They really open up a space. I told Jenny a leaning mirror would be great behind the ottoman (which is against the wall).
Hutch - Eddie Ross
Bamboo Shade - Overstock.com
Drapes - Smartbargains.com
Frames - Ikea, Ribba
Rug - Overstock.com
Mirror - Ikea
Platter - Fiesta in Cobalt (found via Amazon.com)
Fabric - Premier Prints Fabric
Lamps - JCP
13 hours ago